The Cherokee Scout

Alumni Jazz Band Concert

On December 20, Mr. Earl Philips, Cherokee’s Jazz Band director, put together a concert featuring his current jazz band, along with an alumni band consisting of a variety of his past students from his last 10 years at Cherokee. The jazz bands of DeMasi Middle School and Marlton Middle School, and Mr. Phillips’ Jazz Improvisation class performed along with these bands. With musicians ranging in age from 11 to over 40, the band room was full of awe for the art of jazz music and of spirit for the approaching holidays. The Nutcracker Suite by Duke Ellington was performed by the Cherokee Jazz Band and the Alumni Band, side by side. The two bands went back and forth in playing the movements while celebrating the beauty of the program at Cherokee and their common passion for music. The band room was packed with people eager to hear the bands and see old friends, and eventually there was standing room only. This was an amazing opportunity for Mr. Earl Phillips who revealed that this night held some of the best moments of his professional career. For one night, he was able to see all of his arduous work over a decade shine beautifully while simultaneously uniting the past, the present, and the future of the Cherokee Band through their common love for jazz.

Cherokee Jazz Band

Trumpets (from left to right): Joe Bednarek (senior), Gillian McGovern (junior), Grace Fox (sophomore), Josh Free (freshman), and Jordan Stein (freshman).

Mellophones/Trombones (from left to right): Noel Warchol (junior-mellophone), Carly Morton (senior-mellophone), Ethan Yeany (senior-trombone), and Justin Farquhar (sophomore-bass trombone).

Woodwinds (from left to right): Emily Paluba (junior-flute), Alex Kaup (junior-tenor sax/clarinet), Gavin Ritter (sophomore-alto sax/clarinet), Matt Goffin (junior-alto sax), Tae Kim (junior-tenor sax), and Bailey Trace (senior-bari sax).

Rhythm section: Zhudi Pan (junior-vibes), Aayushi Parikh (junior-piano), Jim Fell (junior-upright bass), Simar Kareer (senior-drum set/auxiliary percussion), and Bryana Crockett (junior-drum set/auxiliary percussion).

• Alumni Jazz Band Concert

School News

Volleyball Tournament Cancelled!

• Alumni Jazz Band Concert

School News

Haunted Attractions: Beware the Scare!

• School News

Freshman Quotes

• Alumni Jazz Band Concert

School News

Sophomore Cotillion

• Alumni Jazz Band Concert

School News

American Sign Language Club

• Alumni Jazz Band Concert

School News

Mr. Cherokee Competition Exceeds Expectations as a Landmark Event for the Senior Class

• Alumni Jazz Band Concert

School News

Annual Blizzard Dance Put On Ice After Low Ticket Sales

• Alumni Jazz Band Concert

School News

Blood Drive Sparks Controversy Amongst Staff, Students Alike

• Alumni Jazz Band Concert

School News

Cherokee Students, Staff Help Save Lives At Blood Drive

• Alumni Jazz Band Concert

School News

New Class Creates New Vibe In Music Department

The Student News Site of Cherokee High School
Alumni Jazz Band Concert